Be part of a unique retail experience
Develop your retail merchandising, customer service and sales skills – all while making a difference. American Cancer Society Discovery Shops help support the fight against cancer through the sale of high-quality, gently used, donated merchandise. For more than 40 years, the Society has owned and operated these specialty resale stores, featuring items such as clothing, accessories, jewelry, furniture, artwork, antiques, collectibles, and other household items. Volunteers are always needed for a variety of meaningful opportunities like working in the store, providing customer service, receiving inventory, and other duties.
Discovery Shops are located in California, Iowa, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Washington, and Virginia.
- Opportunities are during retail hours, seven days a week.
- On-site training is required and provided.
As a Discovery Shop volunteer you get to stay connected with your community, build relationships with other volunteers and Society staff members, and know that you’re helping raise funds for cancer research and patient services. Discovery Shops allow you to develop your merchandising, customer service and sales skills, and participate in a unique retail environment, all while making a difference.
Volunteer Positions and Responsibilities
- Volunteers work on-site at the store. Duties could include inventory, merchandising, sales, and customer service.
- All Discover Shop volunteer positions are located on-site, so you must be located near a Discovery Shop store.
- Volunteers must work well with others and be reliable.
- Requirements vary depending on the role. The Discovery Shop staff will provide more information once your volunteer application is approved.
To volunteer for an opportunity with Discovery Shops, please contact the Discovery Shop location in your community. Express a specific interest in working at a Discovery Shop.