Cancer Facts & Figures 2014
This annual report provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2014, as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment. In 2014, there will be an estimated 1,665,540 new cancer cases diagnosed and 585,720 cancer deaths in the US. Cancer remains the second most common cause of death in the US, accounting for nearly 1 of every 4 deaths.
The topic of the special section of Cancer Facts & Figures 2014 is childhood and adolescent cancer. In this section you'll find current information on cancer in children (ages 0 to 14) and adolescents (ages 15 to 19), including incidence and mortality rates and trends, risk factors, and an overview of treatment and outcomes for the major types of cancer that occur during childhood. This special section is intended to inform anyone interested in learning more about cancer in children and adolescents, including policy makers, researchers, clinicians, cancer control advocates, patients, and caregivers.
Cancer Facts & Figures 2014 Supplemental Data
This supplemental data set provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2014 by state for 20 cancer sites and by age group for the four major sites (lung, breast, colorectum, and prostate). Also included is the lifetime probability of developing and dying from cancer for 23 cancer types and the estimated number of cancer survivors who were diagnosed within the past 5 years by state. This data can be used as a resource for cancer control planning at the state level, as well as to address questions from the media or constituents. Divisions are encouraged to share this information with staff and volunteers, and to use it with state and local officials, reporters, and other public health and advocacy groups in local communities.
- Estimated 2014 New Cancer Cases by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2014 Cancer Deaths by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2014 Cancer Cases & Deaths by State for 20 Cancer Sites (PDF)
- Estimated 1-5 Year Cancer Survivors by State in 2014 (PDF)
- Lifetime Probability of Developing & Dying from Cancer for 23 Sites (PDF)
Most Requested Tables and Figures
The most requested tables and figures from Cancer Facts & Figures 2014 have been assembled in an electronic format (PDF) to make it easy for you to use them. Please note that all graphic material should credit the "American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2014".
- Trends in Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates by Site, Males, US, 1930-2010 (PDF)
- Trends in Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates by Site, Females, US, 1930-2010 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases and Deaths, US, 2014 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases by State, US, 2014 (PDF)
- Estimated Cancer Deaths by State, US, 2014 (PDF)
- Leading New Cancer Cases and Deaths - 2014 Estimates (PDF)
- Probability of Developing Invasive Cancers Over Selected Age Intervals, US, 2008-2010 (PDF)
- Cancer Incidence and Death Rates by Race and Ethnicity, US, 2006-2010 (PDF)
- Geographic Patterns in Lung Cancer Death Rates, US, 2006-2010 (PDF)
Download key cancer trend data from Cancer Facts & Figures 2014. Please note that all material using this data should credit the "American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2014".
Cancer Statistics 2014 Slide Presentations
Presentations from the American Cancer Society that provide an overview of current cancer statistics in the US, including data on cancer risk factors (e.g., tobacco use, obesity) and screening, as well as information about childhood and adolescent cancer.