The American Cancer Society DetermiNation program will help you do the unthinkable, achieve what seems impossible, and change the course of cancer forever. With access to professional training, an unparalleled community of support, and inspiration every step of the way, the American Cancer Society will help you finish a half-marathon, marathon, or triathlon. Your personal race victory will change your life, but the finish line will be just the beginning. Because your triumph also means a triumph over cancer - where every step you take and every mile you conquer will create a world with less pain and suffering from cancer.
About the Team
DetermiNation is the American Cancer Society’s nation of athletes determined to end cancer. This powerful and inspiring movement saves lives by enabling athletes to dedicate their training and participation in marathons, triathlons, cycling races, and other endurance events to a lifesaving effort to fight a disease that has already taken too many lives. Over the years, thousands of athletes have had an experience of a lifetime while raising millions for the fight against all types of cancer. With every step taken and every mile conquered, these determined athletes are helping create a world with less cancer.
The American Cancer Society DetermiNation (formerly known as Charity Runner) began in Chicago in 1996. The program expanded nationwide in 2007, and now includes a variety of races across the country and is continuing to grow.
Every Mile is Meaningful
Since 1996, our nation of athletes has swum, biked, and run thousands of miles to raise millions of dollars to save lives. And together with members of the DetermiNation, the American Cancer Society is saving lives every day. Thanks to you:
- We’re doing the most to help people with cancer today and are working tirelessly to find cures to end the disease tomorrow.
- We’re the nation’s largest non-governmental investor in cancer research, contributing more than $3.8 billion since 1946 to prevent, treat, and find cures for all types of cancer.
- We're here 24 hours a day for you and the people you love with information, answers, and emotional support.
- We work with lawmakers to increase funding for cancer research and help make your community a healthier place to live.
DetermiNation Member Benefits*
As a DetermiNation team member, you will have access to training and the ultimate VIP race experience, whether you are a first-timer or an endurance expert. Your benefits may include*:
- Access to half-marathon, marathon, or triathlon training designed to fit your lifestyle
- Invitations to exclusive social events in and around your community
- Race-weekend VIP amenities, which may include access to an American Cancer Society tent, gear check, private changing areas, facilities, masseuses, cheer teams to inspire you along the course, and more
- Exclusive American Cancer Society DetermiNation racing shirt
- Free online tools to make achieving your fundraising goals easy and fun
- Recognition for fundraising success
- The opportunity to dedicate your efforts in honor of or in memory of someone affected by cancer and receive ribbons to wear in support of them
- Mentor support from past participants who will help you every step of the way
*Benefits may vary from evet to event
Our Commitment to You
We're here to guide you through your race experience, from the day you sign up to the moment you cross the finish line – and beyond. As a member of the American Cancer Society DetermiNation team, we’ll help you find your extraordinary, and we’ll be supporting you every step of the way throughout your training and your race - just as we are supporting those who are facing cancer.
But it's not just about the race. By joining our DetermiNation team, you're also making an important commitment to the fight against cancer. We assure you that the money you raise will help save lives. Your efforts will help people stay well, help people get well, help find cures, and help fight back against cancer. Whether or not you have fundraising experience, don't stress - we have helpful resources, tips, and suggestions that will help you meet (and hopefully exceed!) your goals.
Your Commitment to Us
DetermiNation team members commit to raise funds to help save lives from cancer. Sound intimidating? It's not. We've established realistic fundraising goals for each race, and we provide the tools you'll need to make it easy and fun. Think of your DetermiNation participation as your personal stake in the fight against cancer. It's an opportunity to get your family and friends involved in a cause you're passionate about, and you'll be amazed at the support you'll receive.
As a member of the DetermiNation team, we're counting on you to fulfill your event's stated fundraising minimum. That's why, if you don't reach your goal, you will be required to make a personal donation to fulfill the balance. But don't worry - raising money is way easier than you think, so this shouldn't be a problem for you. Be sure to take advantage of the many tools and tips we offer to help you meet your fundraising goals.