To learn more
National organizations and websites*
Along with the American Cancer Society, other sources of information and support include:
National Cancer Institute
Toll-free number: 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237)
For accurate, up-to-date information on a variety of cancer-related topics for patients, their families, and the general public
College of American Pathologists
Offers a free video and information written for patients on how to read pathology reports.
- Testing Biopsy and Cytology Specimens for Cancer
- How is cancer diagnosed?
- Types of biopsies used to look for cancer
- Types of cytology tests used to look for cancer
- What happens to biopsy and cytology specimens?
- What do doctors look for in biopsy and cytology specimens?
- Tests used on biopsy and cytology specimens to diagnose cancer
- Reasons for delays in getting your biopsy and cytology test results
- How to learn more about your pathology results
- What information is included in a pathology report?
- To learn more