Reach To Recovery®
Share your breast cancer experience
Are you a breast cancer survivor and want to share your experience with someone who is currently facing a diagnosis? The American Cancer Society Reach To Recovery program matches trained volunteer breast cancer survivors to people living with breast cancer. Through face-to-face visits or by phone, Reach To Recovery volunteer visitors provide understanding and hope to individuals who need support during their breast cancer experience. It is a rewarding volunteer opportunity and a chance to build quality relationships with people who need your help. Both volunteer visitors and volunteer coordinators are needed.
Nationwide opportunities available.
Weekly time commitment varies by area. Your local Society staff will provide more information once your volunteer application is reviewed.
- Reach To Recovery new volunteer training is required to help ensure high-quality delivery of the program across the country.
- Existing volunteers attend annual training updates.
Volunteer visitors and coordinators provide support and help to people facing or living with breast cancer. Breast cancer survivors use their personal experience to help support others going through similar experiences. It is an ideal volunteer opportunity for people who are breast cancer survivors, like one-on-one interaction, want a flexible schedule, and can encourage others. Visitors are trained on how to talk with patients, equipped with information to share, and get to work with other breast cancer survivors. It’s a truly meaningful and rewarding experience.
Volunteer Positions and Responsibilities
- Volunteer visitors provide face-to-face, phone, or email support to breast cancer patients.
- Volunteer coordinators manage requests for volunteer visitor activities, promote the program in their community, and recruit volunteers for the program.
- Volunteer visitors must have had a diagnosis and undergone treatment for breast cancer and be at least one year post-treatment, excluding hormonal therapies.
- Both volunteer visitors and volunteer coordinators need to have strong communication and listening skills, be empathetic, and be emotionally well-adjusted.
To volunteer for this opportunity, select the “Reach To Recovery” checkbox under “Patient Services & Support” on the Sign Up to Volunteer form.
- Our Work Wouldn’t Be Possible Without You
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network℠ (ACS CAN)
- Administrative and Clerical Volunteer Opportunities
- Cancer Resource Centers
- Community Office Volunteers
- Community Event Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Opportunities for Organizations
- Discovery Shops™
- Hope Lodge
- Look Good Feel Better®
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®
- Online and Social Media Volunteer Opportunities
- Patient Services and Support Volunteer Opportunities
- Reach To Recovery®
- Relay For Life®
- Retail and Hospitality Volunteer Opportunities
- Road To Recovery®
- The Society in Second Life
- Sports and Recreation Volunteer Opportunities
- Fundraising Volunteer Opportunities
- Help Pass Laws to Defeat Cancer
- Sign Up to Volunteer
- Volunteer Stories
- Sign Up to Volunteer - Relay For Life