Be part of a unique retail experience
Develop your retail merchandising, customer service and sales skills – all while making a difference. American Cancer Society Discovery Shops help support the fight against cancer through the sale of high-quality, gently used, donated merchandise. For more than 40 years, the Society has owned and operated these specialty resale stores, featuring items such as clothing, accessories, jewelry, furniture, artwork, antiques, collectibles, and other household items. Volunteers are always needed for a variety of meaningful opportunities like working in the store, providing customer service, receiving inventory, and other duties.
Discovery Shops are located in California, Iowa, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Washington, and Virginia.
View our Discovery Shop locations.
Opportunities are during retail hours, seven days a week.
On-site training is required and provided.
As a Discovery Shop volunteer you get to stay connected with your community, build relationships with other volunteers and Society staff members, and know that you’re helping raise funds for cancer research and patient services. Discovery Shops allow you to develop your merchandising, customer service and sales skills, and participate in a unique retail environment, all while making a difference.
Volunteer positions and responsibilities
Volunteers work on-site at the store. Duties could include inventory, merchandising, sales, and customer service.
- All Discover Shop volunteer positions are located on-site, so you must be located near a Discovery Shop store.
- Volunteers must work well with others and be reliable.
- Requirements vary depending on the role. The Discovery Shop staff will provide more information once your volunteer application is approved.
To volunteer for an opportunity with Discovery Shops, please contact the Discovery Shop location in your community. Express a specific interest in working at a Discovery Shop.
- Our Work Wouldn’t Be Possible Without You
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network℠ (ACS CAN)
- Administrative and Clerical Volunteer Opportunities
- Cancer Resource Centers
- Community Office Volunteers
- Community Event Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Opportunities for Organizations
- Discovery Shops™
- Hope Lodge
- Look Good Feel Better®
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®
- Online and Social Media Volunteer Opportunities
- Patient Services and Support Volunteer Opportunities
- Reach To Recovery®
- Relay For Life®
- Retail and Hospitality Volunteer Opportunities
- Road To Recovery®
- The Society in Second Life
- Sports and Recreation Volunteer Opportunities
- Fundraising Volunteer Opportunities
- Help Pass Laws to Defeat Cancer
- Sign Up to Volunteer
- Volunteer Stories
- Sign Up to Volunteer - Relay For Life