Relay For Life®
Pull an all-nighter for a good cause!
At Relay For Life events teams camp out overnight and take turns walking or running around a track or path at a local high school, park, or fairground to raise funds for the fight against cancer. Events are up to 24 hours long, and because cancer never sleeps, each team is asked to have at least one participant on the track at all times. The event is an opportunity for communities to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that has already taken too much. Relay volunteers help with registration, logistics, participant support, and other unique opportunities based on the event’s location. Or you can be a Relay For Life team member or team leader and volunteer your time toward participating in the event and fundraising. Relay For Life’s volunteer-driven model help make it the most successful fundraising event in the world. Even if you aren’t a night owl, there’s a place for you at a Relay For Life event.
Nationwide opportunities available.
- Time commitment varies. Usually there is a need for pre-event and day-of-event volunteers.
- Event Leadership Team members usually meet evenings to plan the event.
- Relay For Life team members meet whenever it is convenient for your team.
- More information will be provided by the event organizers once your volunteer application is reviewed.
- Relay For Life Event Leadership Team members who help plan the event may have required training and orientation based on their roles.
- There may be on-site training for day-of-event volunteers.
Each person who shares the Relay For Life experience can take pride in knowing that they are working to create a world where cancer will no longer threaten our loved ones. Volunteering at a Relay event honors survivors, caregivers, and those lost to cancer. You get to support and work with your local community, build friendships, learn new skills, and have a lot of fun knowing you are making a difference. You can volunteer by yourself, or get a group of family and friends to make a difference together.
Volunteer Positions and Responsibilities
- Relay For Life Event Leadership Team members help plan and promote the event. They ensure everything is organized, from recruiting and motivating teams and sponsors to planning day-of-event ceremonies.
- Day-of-event volunteers help with logistics, information, and many other important activities.
- Relay For Life team members and team leaders volunteer their time toward participating in the event and fundraising.
- Requirements vary depending on the role. Your local Relay For Life staff will provide more information once your volunteer application is reviewed.
- If you elect to be an event participant, as a team member or team leader, you will need to register for the event.
To volunteer for this opportunity, select the appropriate Relay For Life checkbox under “Community Events” on the Sign Up to Volunteer form.
- Thank You, Volunteers
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network℠ (ACS CAN)
- Administrative and Clerical Volunteer Opportunities
- Cancer Resource Centers
- Community Office Volunteers
- Community Event Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Opportunities for Organizations
- Discovery Shops™
- Hope Lodge
- Look Good Feel Better®
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®
- Online and Social Media Volunteer Opportunities
- Patient Services and Support Volunteer Opportunities
- Reach To Recovery®
- Relay For Life®
- Retail and Hospitality Volunteer Opportunities
- Road To Recovery®
- The Society in Second Life
- Sports and Recreation Volunteer Opportunities
- Fundraising Volunteer Opportunities
- Help Pass Laws to Defeat Cancer
- Sign Up to Volunteer
- Volunteer Stories