American Cancer Society Hope Lodge—
Kansas City, MO
AddressView Map1120 Pennsylvania Avenue , Kansas City, MO 64105 Phone: 816-218-7200Fax: 816-842-5754
Staying With Us
- Contact a local referring professional: your treating physician, nurse coordinator, or social worker at your treatment facility.
- Request a referral to be sent to the Hope Lodge in Kansas City, MO.
- A staff person will contact you directly or call Hope Lodge hospitality at 816.218.7200 to confirm request was received.
Guidelines for Health Care Professionals who are referring patients to the Hope Lodge.
- Hope Lodge Referral Form must be completed by a Social Worker. Although we usually have openings, please don't promise the patient a room until we confirm it. Hope Lodge staff will contact patient within 24 hours to discuss eligibility and availability. At that time, a reservation will be made. Social Workers may contact Hope Lodge prior to sending Referral Form to discuss availability/eligibility.
- Guests and support person(s) must be aware that the Hope Lodge is not a medical facility. Staff are not medical professionals. Staff will call 911 if an individual is acutely ill, unresponsive, or unable to participate in a decision related to their care.
- Lodging will be provided to those who have been diagnosed with cancer. Referring Social Worker must have pathology supporting cancer diagnosis. Those with pre-cancerous cells or undetermined medical diagnosis do not fall within this guideline.
- Guests undergoing treatment must be able to care for themselves, maintain the cleanliness of their room, and prepare meals. If they cannot perform these tasks they must be accompanied by an adult (over 18) who can provide this assistance.
- Guests will be financially responsible for personal expenses including transportation, meals, telephone calls, and miscellaneous items at the Hope Lodge. Hope Lodge services are limited to lodging.
- Guests may eat in their room only if they are immunosuppressed, sick from cancer treatment, or using a feeding tube.
- As general rule, guests may stay at the Hope Lodge during the course of treatment or testing. However, when operating at full capacity, priority will be given to those requiring stays of 3 days or longer.
- As a general rule, guests will not be considered for lodging if they live within a 40 mile radius of the Hope Lodge. Priority will be given to those living outside of this radius. Exceptions are made for BMT patients and for living conditions not conducive for treatment.
- Guests may arrive 24 hours prior to appointment and must leave within 24 hours of last appointment.
- Guests are responsible to reimburse the Hope Lodge for any unusual damage due to negligence by themselves, support person(s), or visitors.
- Guest and support persons must sign and follow a Guest Agreement stating norms and restrictions. The Hope Lodge can refuse or terminate lodging if guest, support person, or visitors don't follow the guidelines.
- The American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge will serve cancer patients on a first-come, first-serve basis, providing equal service to all who meet medical or other eligibility.
Call for exceptions, we may be able to help you & your special situations.
Together our Shavees raise funds for Hope Lodge of Kansas City! For more information please visit ShaveToSave.org.
Shave to Save is one of the American Cancer Society's most exciting and unique fundraising events and the only event that donates 100-percent of its proceeds to the Society’s Hope Lodge of Kansas City, a FREE place to stay for cancer patients in the metro during treatment.
Shave to Save is an event where men and women volunteer to shave their heads in honor or memory of someone that has been touched by cancer. Established in 2001, Shave to Save has raised over $1.3 million for American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge of Kansas City. We’d like to invite you to join the Shave to Save campaign and cheer on local corporate and community leaders as they shave their heads in support of those fighting against cancer on April 1, 2017.
The Shave to Save event will feature great supporting guests from the Kansas City community including Shave to Save emcee Gary Lezak from 41 Action News.
- Cattle Barons' Ball The Midwestern KC - For event information, visit themidwestern.org.
- Coaches vs Cancer Tipoff Reception - For event information, visit kcseasontipoff.org.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer - For event information, visit makingstrideswalk.org/kansascitymo.
- Shave to Save - For event information, visit shavetosave.org.
- Relay For Life - For event information, visit relayforlife.org.
The Hope Lodge in Kansas City provides guests with access to many American Cancer Society resources to assist with cancer information and community referrals. The Lodge also provides quality American Cancer Society programs and services to help patients and caregivers manage their cancer experience. Because people have a greater chance of overcoming cancer when they have access to the care they need, relief from worrying about how to get to their treatments, and support from others who have been there, the Hope Lodge is connecting those facing cancer with the information, day-to-day help, and emotional support they need to help them through every step of their cancer journey.
Guests are given the opportunity to participate in a variety of optional programs and activities during their stay at the Hope Lodge. Activities include weekly grocery store runs, computer classes, movie nights, bingo, potluck dinners, tai chi classes, karaoke, cancer support groups, volunteer provided meals, and much more. There are also a number of American Cancer Society programs and services available to guests.
American Cancer Society Programs and Services available to Hope Lodge Guests:
Look Good...Feel Better® - a community based, free, national service that teaches female cancer patients beauty techniques to help restore their appearance and self-image during cancer treatments. Look Good, Feel Better sessions take place at Hope Lodge every month.
cancer.org - The American Cancer Society's website is an interactive site equipped with cancer information, cancer profiler, on-line discussions, calendar of events, local resources, a network of survivors, and more.
1-800-227-2345 - The American Cancer Society's National Cancer Information Center toll-free number is available 24hours a day, 7 days a week. Information Specialists will answer cancer related questions, connect you to your local office, and send you free information.
Transportation Assistance - The American Cancer Society provides transportation assistance in the form of a gas card to help with gasoline reimbursement. Criteria may be found on the application which you can receive at your local American Cancer Society office.
Residency at a Hope Lodge facility is a courtesy extended at the sole discretion of American Cancer Society. All individuals who meet the Hope Lodge eligibility requirements will be welcomed regardless of race, creed, citizenship, physical disability, gender, color, ethnic heritage, veteran status, economic status, or sexual orientation. For admissions information, please select a Hope Lodge location.