Rice with Orzo and Mint
Orzo is a tiny, rice-shaped pasta that works well with the nutty flavor of the brown rice in this recipe. Enjoy ½ cup of this flavorful side dish (cooked), and you'll need only two more servings of whole grain foods to meet ACS healthy eating guidelines.
Refined grains, such as white rice, lose much of their vitamins, minerals, and all of their fiber in processing.
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, brown orzo in olive oil, stirring constantly. Pour in chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add rice and garlic salt and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh mint.
Per Serving (approximate)
|Total Fat||2 g|