Christ GH, Christ AE. Current approaches to helping children cope with a parent’s terminal illness. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006;56:197-212.
Harpham WS. When a Parent Has Cancer: A guide to caring for your children. New York: William Morrow Paperbacks, 2004.
Karlsson E, Andersson K, Ahlström BH. Loneliness despite the presence of others - adolescents' experiences of having a parent who becomes ill with cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2013;17(6):697-703.
Kupst MJ, Patenaude AF. Coping with pediatric cancer. In Wiener LS, Pao M, Kazak AE, et al (Eds). Quick Reference for pediatric oncology clinicians: The psychiatric and psychological dimensions of pediatric cancer symptom management. Charlottesville, VA, 2009: IPOS Press: 130-139.
National Cancer Institute: When Someone In Your Family Has Cancer. Accessed at www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/when-someone-in-your-family-archived/page1 on May 28, 2010. Content no longer available.
Semple CJ, McCaughan E. Family life when a parent is diagnosed with cancer: impact of a psychosocial intervention for young children. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2013;22(2):219-231.
Thastum M, Johansen MB, Gubba L, Olesen LB, Romer G. Coping, social relations, and communication: a qualitative exploratory study of children of parents with cancer. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008;13:123-138.
Welch AS, Wadsworth ME, Compas BE. Adjustment of children and adolescents to parental cancer. Parents’ and children’s perspectives. Cancer. 1996;77:1409-1418.
- How can I help anyone else when I’m so upset about the cancer coming back?
- How should I talk about cancer recurrence with my children and help them cope with it?
- What is a child’s greatest worry if a parent’s illness progresses?
- What about the “why” questions?
- How might my advancing cancer affect my child’s spirituality or religious faith?
- How do children react to the thought of a parent’s death?
- Isn’t having a positive attitude important in fighting the cancer?
- How can I help my child when I have so little energy?
- How will I know if my children need extra help?
- Will this experience leave my children with emotional scars?
- To learn more
Last Medical Review: December 5, 2014 Last Revised: December 12, 2014