Other ideas to explore

Ask your doctor or a member of your cancer team for a referral to a social worker at your clinic or hospital. Sometimes social workers know of local resources, and they often know a lot about requirements for help from your state.

You might be able to find other public and private resources on your own, including:

  • Federal programs for military personnel or veterans
  • State programs for seniors, disabled, or low income people
  • County, city, or community programs
  • Churches and religious or charity groups
  • Patient advocacy groups

You might want to look online, in your local phone book, or talk to others about resources in your area. Ask these organizations about drug assistance programs. Even if they have none themselves, they may be able to help you find an agency that does.

The American Cancer Society medical and editorial content team
Our team is made up of doctors and master’s-prepared nurses with deep knowledge of cancer care as well as journalists, editors, and translators with extensive experience in medical writing.

Last Medical Review: October 28, 2014 Last Revised: November 13, 2014

American Cancer Society medical information is copyrighted material. For reprint requests, please see our Content Usage Policy.