Cancer Facts & Figures 2013
This annual report provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2013 as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment. About 1,660,290 new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2013, and in 2013 about 580,350 Americans are projected to die of cancer, almost 1,600 people a day. Cancer remains the second most common cause of death in the US, accounting for nearly 1 of every 4 deaths. (Please note: The projected numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2013 should not be compared with previous years to track cancer trends because they are model-based and vary from year to year for reasons other than changes in cancer occurrence. Age-standardized incidence and death rates should be used to measure cancer trends.)
The topic of the special section of Cancer Facts & Figures 2013 is pancreatic cancer. In this section you'll find updated information on occurrence, prevention, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of pancreatic cancer, intended to inform anyone interested in learning more about pancreatic cancer, including policy makers, researchers, clinicians, cancer control advocates, patients, and caregivers.
Cancer Facts & Figures 2013 Supplemental Data
This supplemental data set provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2013 by state for 20 cancer sites and by age group for the four major sites (lung, breast, colorectum, and prostate). Also included is the lifetime probability of developing and dying from cancer for 23 cancer types and the estimated number of cancer survivors who were diagnosed within the past 5 years by state. This data can be used as a resource for cancer control planning at the state level, as well as to address questions from the media or constituents. Divisions are encouraged to share this information with staff and volunteers, and to use it with state and local officials, reporters, and other public health and advocacy groups in local communities.
- Estimated 2013 New Cancer Cases by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2013 Cancer Deaths by Site, Sex, & Age Group (PDF)
- Estimated 2013 Cancer Cases & Deaths by State for 20 Cancer Sites (PDF)
- Estimated 1-5 Year Cancer Survivors by State in 2013 (PDF)
- Lifetime Probability of Developing & Dying from Cancer for 23 Sites (PDF)
Most Requested Tables and Figures
The most requested tables and figures from Cancer Facts & Figures 2013 have been assembled in an electronic format (PDF) to make it easy for you to use them. Please note that all graphic material should credit the "American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2013".
- Trends in Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates by Site, Males, US, 1930-2009 (PDF)
- Trends in Age-adjusted Cancer Death Rates by Site, Females, US, 1930-2009 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases and Deaths, US, 2013 (PDF)
- Estimated New Cancer Cases by State, US, 2013 (PDF)
- Estimated Cancer Deaths by State, US, 2013 (PDF)
- Leading New Cancer Cases and Deaths - 2013 Estimates (PDF)
- Probability of Developing Invasive Cancers Over Selected Age Intervals, US, 2007-2009 (PDF)
- Cancer Incidence and Death Rates by Race and Ethnicity, US, 2005-2009 (PDF)
- Geographic Patterns in Lung Cancer Death Rates, US, 2005-2009 (PDF)
Cancer Statistics 2013 Slide Presentation
A presentation from the American Cancer Society reporting the estimated numbers of cancer cases and deaths in 2013 as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on risk factors and early detection.