Bickmore TW, Pfeifer LM, Paasche-Orlow MK. Using computer agents to explain medical documents to patients with low health literacy. Patient Educ Couns. 2009;75:315-320.
Breitsameter C. Medical decision-making and communication of risks: an ethical perspective. J Med Ethics. 2010;36(6):349-352.
Derse AR. What part of “no” don’t you understand? Patient refusal of recommended treatment in the emergency department. Mt Sinai J Med. 2005;72:221-227.
Emedicine Health. Informed Consent. Accessed at www.emedicinehealth.com/informed_consent/article_em.htm on July 9, 2014.
Lee MK, Noh DY, Nam SJ, et al. Association of shared decision-making with type of breast cancer surgery: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:48.
National Cancer Institute. A Guide to Understanding Informed Consent. Accessed at www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/conducting/informed-consent-guide/page1 on July 25, 2012.
Pope TM, Hexum M. Legal Briefing: Informed Consent in the Clinical Context. J Clin Ethics. 2014;25(2):152-175.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Informed Consent – FAQs. Accessed at http://answers.hhs.gov/ohrp/categories/1566 on July 10, 2014.
White G. Obtaining informed consent: It’s more than a signature. Am J Nursing. 2000;100:83.
Whitney SN, McGuire AL, McCullough LB. A typology of shared decision making, informed consent, and simple consent. Ann Intern Med. 2003;140:54-59.
- Informed Consent
- What is informed consent and what does it mean?
- Why does the doctor need me to sign a consent form?
- What are the legal requirements of informed consent?
- Who besides the patient is allowed to consent?
- Are there times when the usual consent requirements do not apply?
- How will I be given information for informed consent?
- What questions should I ask during informed consent?
- Can I change my mind after I’ve signed the consent?
- What if I don’t want the treatment that’s being offered?
- How is informed consent for a clinical trial or research study different from consent for standard treatment?
- How is shared decision-making different from informed consent?
- What if I want my doctor to make the decisions about my care, and I don’t want more information?
- How can I find out more?