To Learn More about the History of Cancer
The American Cancer Society can help you learn more about cancer. Contact us anytime, day or night, for cancer-related information and support. Call us at 1-800-227-2345 or visit us online at www.cancer.org.
Encyclopedia Britannica. See entries on Medicine, History of Cancer.
Lyons AS, Petrucelli RJ. Medicine: An Illustrated History. New York: Harry N. Abrams Publishers; 1978.
Shimkin MB. Contrary to Nature: Cancer. For sale by the Superintendent of Documents, US Printing Office, Washington D.C. 20401. DHEW Publication No (NIH) 76-720; 1976.
Mukherjee, S. The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. New York: Scribner; 2010.
Last Medical Review: June 12, 2014 Last Revised: June 12, 2014
- Early History of Cancer
- Cancer in the Sixteenth to Eighteenth Centuries
- Cancer in the Nineteenth Century
- Early Theories about Cancer Causes
- Development of Modern Knowledge about Cancer Causes
- History of Cancer Epidemiology
- History of Cancer Screening and Early Detection
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Surgery
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Hormone Therapy
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Radiation
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Chemotherapy
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Immunotherapy
- Evolution of Cancer Treatments: Targeted Therapy
- Advancement of Cancer Survivorship
- Cancer in the Twenty-first Century
- To Learn More about the History of Cancer
- References: The History of Cancer