Will My Insurance Cover Alternative and Complementary Therapies?
Many insurance companies are starting to cover some of the more widely accepted complementary methods of treatment. Many major insurers, including Blue Cross and Medicare, cover one or more complementary methods of treatment. Acupuncture and chiropractic therapy are most often covered. Contact your insurance company to find out what your plan covers.
If possible, get your doctor to write you a referral or a recommendation for the complementary therapy you want to use. Many insurance companies require that the method be shown to be reasonable and medically necessary, and it may help later on to have your doctor’s recommendation.
Insurance companies usually will not cover methods that have not been proven to be helpful for the illness or symptom you have.
- What Are Complementary and Alternative Methods?
- How Are Complementary Methods Used to Manage Cancer?
- What Kinds of Cancer Treatment Are There?
- Why Are Complementary and Alternative Therapies Harder to Evaluate?
- What Are the Risks of Not Using Mainstream Cancer Treatment?
- Can I Safely Use an Alternative or Complementary Therapy?
- Will My Insurance Cover Alternative and Complementary Therapies?
- How Do I Talk to My Doctor About Alternative and Complementary Methods?
- Using a Complementary or Alternative Method Is Your Decision
- To learn more