Broccoli, Garlic, and Lemon Penne
For quicker prep, buy bagged broccoli florets. For more cheese flavor and fewer calories, grate your own Parmesan cheese with a Microplane grater, a small-holed handheld grater. It produces a finer shred, so you get more coverage with less cheese.
Prep time: 15 minutes or less
Total time: 30 minutes or less
- ½ pound penne pasta
- 5 cups broccoli florets or 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli florets
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare penne according to package directions for al dente (just firm). Two to three minutes before penne is ready, add broccoli. Finish cooking, drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Sauté the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, or until aromatic and beginning to color.
- Add broth and bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by half, stirring frequently. Add pasta, broccoli, and lemon zest and cook until coated with sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and top with cheese.
Broccoli is high in folic acid, vitamins C and K, and fiber. It’s also one of the richest vegetable sources of calcium, iron, and magnesium.
|Calories from Fat||155|
|Total Fat||17.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||10.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||50 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|